Watches are an essential accessory for style. The choice of the watch can define one’s personality. You can check the time via your cell phone, but there are chances of distraction. It looks much easier to glance at your wrist to see the time. Watches can make you responsible and punctual towards time tracking.
In 2020, the worldwide value of watches and clocks was approximately 42.1 billion U.S. dollars. If you love to wear watches, you must be aware of two basic types of watches, i.e., Automatic and Mechanical. Both watches are trendy and add a spark to your style game, but you should know the fundamental difference between an Automatic and a Mechanical watch.
The history of watches started with mechanical watches. These devices ruled the timekeeping business till the late 18th century. Automatic are the improvised addition of mechanical watches. As “Necessary is the mother of all inventions, “the invention of automatic watches was a need of the hour. Because Mechanical watches are hand wounded devices, users need to move the spiral spring manually. However, automatic watches work on the response of the wearer’s wrist movements.
Read Also: Are Bulova Watches A Good Investment?
Distinguished Factors of Mechanical and Automatic Watches:
We can easily understand the difference between mechanical and automatic watches by considering the following factors.
The primary difference between automatic and mechanical watches is their mechanism. Both have separate systems or operations. In mechanical watches, it’s all about manual handling. The user needs to wind up the crown of the watch, which is a dial present on the exterior of a mechanical watch. The winding tightens up the spring, and the user feels friction when it is appropriately coiled. That’s it now; the tightly wound spring unspools itself slowly, and tick tick has begun.
However, automatic watches are self-winding timepieces. You don’t need to wind them because they work on another mechanism. This gadget transfers the kinetic energy of the user’s wrist automatically to the mainspring via a rotor.
So the essential difference between these two types of watches is their mechanism and mechanical movement. One is self _winding, and the other is manually wound.
Components / Parts:
Watches are made up of many tiny and delicate parts. These gadgets show us outstanding craftsmanship when we observe their interior. Many essential parts or components are the same in both watches, but the arrangement of some tiny pieces makes the difference. We can differentiate between Mechanical and automatic watches, keenly observing their components.
Parts of a mechanical watch:
The essential parts of a mechanical watch include:
- Mainspring (which provides the power.)
- The balance wheel and the hairspring. (marking the division of time by oscillating )
- The escapement (this tiny component distributes the oscillator’s impulses)
- The gear train (it transmits the power)
- The winding stem
- The dial train (it is responsible activates the watch hands)
Parts of automatic watch:
The essential parts of an automatic watch include:
- Mainspring ( it stores the kinetic energy of the wrist )
- Crown ( small wheel on the side of the watch which turns and winds the watch)
- Gear Train (it’s a small train of tiny gears which receive the energy from the mainspring and make the hands move)
- Escapement (braking unit in a watch that expelled energy in equal portions)
- Balance Wheel ( beats in a regular round motion 5 to 10 times per second.)
- Dial Train ( transfer energy from the balance wheel to the hands of the watch to move)
- Jewels ( synthetic rubies. They keep the gear of the watch moving and also prevent friction or warmth)
- Rotor (half-circled metallic weight. It can freely swing along the movement of the user’s wrist.)
Read Also: How does a self-winding watch work?
Every dear and loving accessory should be kept in extra protection and care. Our watches are precious items, so we need to take extra care of them. Watches have many tiny and delicate parts, so we must focus on Maintenance.
Dust, dirt, moisture, shock, or rising temperature can damage the function of any watch. Automatic watches need less Maintenance than Mechanical ones. It is said that an automatic wristwatch has a long life. In manual watches, the user needs to wind it every other day, so, sometimes, over winding can cause damage or disturb the watch’s accuracy.
Accuracy is the most needed feature in timekeeping devices. However, both of these watches ( mechanical or automatic) have some drawbacks in terms of accuracy compared to today’s quartz movement watches. However, Automatic wristwatches have comparatively more accuracy than Mechanical watches. A mechanical watch loses 4 to 5 seconds daily, and an automatic one loses seconds daily.
Appearance and Weight:
There is a noticeable difference in both watches’ exterior look and feel. Mechanical watches comprise many tiny and precise moving components and machinery or mechanical parts. The interior of a mechanical watch is a treat full of art with delicacy, so the mechanical watches are light weighted and less noisy.
In contrast, a self-winding watch is a comparatively heavier and larger gadget. We can feel the rotor moving sound while wearing a manual wind watch.
These classic watches have a long life. Both forms of these timekeeping devices are designed in such a way that they can last forever. Watchmakers crafted them to last a lifetime.
Mechanical watches can travel from generation to generation if taken care of. These watches need regular service for the better functionality of their mechanical parts every 3 to 5 years. It is also recommended not to overwind these manual wind gadgets.
When it comes to durability, an automatic wristwatch is not far from mechanical. These gadgets can last for days or even weeks if you fully wound them. You can expect 40 to 50 hours of life from your automatic timepieces.
So, we are correct to say that in terms of durability, these classic devices of timekeeping are way better than quartz watches powered by batteries. High caliber materials of these vintage watches are the main reason for their long life.
Read Also: Why are Breitling watches so expensive?
Reasons to Choose
- They do not need to wind if they are in daily use.
- They are usually more affordable.
- They are more reliable than manual wind watches.
Reasons to Avoid
- Their movement view is a little bit more crowded.
- You need to give them a good shake if you do not wear them.
- These gadgets weigh heavier.
Reasons to Buy
- These are traditional, actual manual wind watches.
- Movement is comparatively more visible.
- These are light weighted than self-winding watches.
Reasons to Avoid
- They need more Maintenance.
- Most of these manual wind watches are very expensive.
- Their crown winding can get tiresome.
Which one is better??? Mechanical or Automatic Watch movements
We have discussed in detail the difference between automatic and mechanical watches. Both have a separate legacy and fan following. However, if we talk about convenience, innovation, and accuracy, we find self-winding, or auto watches on top of the list as these are easy to manage daily. We can indeed say that automatic wristwatches dominate the luxury watch culture.
It is also mandatory to state that mechanical watches are still on board. True watch lovers still love these old_ fashioned vintage classy timepieces. Self-winding watches are practically appreciated more, but manual-winding watches have a different and unique place in the hearts of watch lovers, even in this time of modern quartz watches.
Read Also: Is Armitron A Good Watch In 2022?
Mechanical and Automatic Wristwatches are Still in Fashion?
This era is the era of adventurous inventions and improvised technology. Science has revolutionized our lives completely. Improved and new versions of quartz watches are an innovation in the watch industry. However, all these adventures are still unsuccessful in minimizing the charisma of vintage mechanical and self-winding watches.
These watches do not need any battery for the mechanical movement of the machinery. People still love to have one of these timepieces on their wrists. They both are still included in luxury watches. It is nostalgic to have a classic watch as an essential accessory.
Reasons for Existence of Vintage Watches in Modern Age:
Here are some reasons for the existence of automatic and mechanical watches, even in this age of quartz and cell phones.
- Mechanical and self-winding wristwatches are timeless. They are always in fashion and will stay in the heart of watch lovers and watch collectors with their beauty and elegance.
- These watches depict a rich history. Formerly these were crafted by watchmakers by hand. Still today, famous brands use traditional methods for these vintage timepieces.
- Mechanical and automatic wristwatches have a long life. Unlike the latest quartz, powered by batteries, these watches can last forever with proper care.
- These traditional watches are uniquely designed. No two mechanical or automatic timepieces are precisely alike. Quartz watches do not possess this quality.
- It is nostalgic when you hear the ticking sound of any mechanical watch. This tick tick is also felt as a reminder that time flies. The latest battery-powered quartz watches don’t provide this sense of responsibility.
- Mechanical and automatic wristwatches are often used and adored as a heritage. These gadgets travel from generation to generation. That’s why these are very special and unique.
- These timepieces held history and heritage. These are unique pieces of art. Even today, many millennials are showing their interest and love for having these vintage timepieces as they add an extra edge and spark to their persona.
Read Also: Is fossil a good watch in 2022?
Watch is one of the most important and elegant accessories. You can lift your style statement with a trendy or classy wristwatch. Choose any watch according to your taste and need, but keep the difference between a Mechanical and Automatic watch.
Mechanical watches give a vintage and classic look, and automatic wristwatches depict your sense of elegant fashion. In short, a mechanical or automatic timepiece boosts your style and gives classic attire for your personality.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do automatic watches need a battery?
No, Automatic watches do not require batteries because they work on different mechanisms. These gadgets use the kinetic energy of the wearer’s wrist to wind up and move the hands of the watch.
How long can an automatic watch last without being worn?
Your watch movement decides this well. Usually, 40 to 50 hours is their running time when you fully wound them. Some latest and improvised models can last for days or even weeks.
Why are automatic wristwatches so expensive?
Automatic watches are a level_ up gadget from the existing standard watches. These are more expensive because their materials and tiny parts have higher manufacturing costs. These watches also held higher labor costs.